Friday, July 10, 2009

Cheeseburger & Fries: a Photocopy of a Memory of a Photograph


The photo above was taken circa 1997 during a performance in the Reynolds Building on the University of Kentucky's campus. The original, a Polaroid, is lost, yet the image above is a photocopy used as part of a poster advertising a Cheeseburger & Fries performance at the defunct Hip Joynt in Lexington, Kentucky.

What were we singing? And almost never did JSH and I switch out with me on guitar and him on drums. I still have that Iron Maiden t-shirt.

JSH has pointed out that I seem to, however unconsciously in the moment, be invoking the spirit of the famous snapshot of a young Elvis.

To quote myself from this era (the 90s, not the 50s of big E up there, but who's counting?): "I got the holy spirit/got it so bad/can't see nothing/can't see my head."

I sing songs, then tomorrow & now. I have questions. Time does not provide answers. I have memories. They are as obscure and untrustworthy as the fluctuating affection of a fickle young and beguiling woman.

-- JTD

No comments: