Saturday, December 12, 2009

Tiger Beat


Here we go again! Another phony, hand-wringing, media feeding frenzy to humiliate a man for having a sex drive. Like Bill Clinton and David Duchovny before him, Tiger Woods is now being vilified by condescending media talking heads who are clearly deriving sadistic glee in trying to tear him down. Just tonight Jim Moret on CNN kept repeating over and over that Tiger Woods is "probably a sex addict".

Tiger Woods, like most athletes of our age, has barely even registered on my radar. Playing sports is one thing, but my only real interest in watching sports is in those games that I have a bet riding on, and I've never bet on golf. (I'm also a terrible golfer myself - triple digits.) Ironically, the very thing that's turning so many people off about him is exactly that which is catching my attention and earning my respect.

I also like his steadfast "no comment, I don't owe any of you an explanation about anything" attitude. Like shrill harpies, even news personalities who I usually respect are jumping on the bandwagon of character assassination, for no other reason than because they can.

As usual, Rachel Maddow gets it right. She's avoiding the Tiger circus, and when asked why by Jimmy Fallon, she said: "Tiger Woods never said, 'Buy Nike, I'm faithful to my wife'. He never made claims to be the superior moral being. So I have a hard time thinking we should cover it."

Here's to ya, Tiger. Keep burning bright.

- - JSH

No comments: