Monday, December 13, 2010

The Devil's Advocaat


In Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, the satanic butler Grady spills a tray of Advocaat parfaits all over troubled writer Jack Torrance. Ever since then, I've been dying to experience this mysterious egg-based concoction, but my attempts to sniff it out in Jefferson County have been unsuccessful.

Until today.

I finally happened upon a bottle of Advocaat at, of all things, a Liquor Barn in the Tinseltown area, and seized upon my holy grail with joy. Upon popping it open when I got home, though, I found that this egg liqueur tastes rather... well.... eggy. Definitely not your mother's egg nog, and not something to be imbibed straight, at least not by me.

So, I'm putting on my thinking cap and my drinking cap, and will try to forge some brave new cocktail out of this cloying yellow viscous bev'age. Keep an eyeball and a highball on my cocktail blog and maybe I'll stir up something good in the days to come...

- - JSH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend you try making your own. It's pretty simple and tastes better (plus you can tweak it as you like). Here's a recipe, which can easily be halved:

http://12bottlebar.com/syrups/#Advocaat