Sunday, December 5, 2010

Twilight of the Psychic Vampires


"I'm gonna tell everyone to lighten up." - Sheryl Crow


Like Mr. Dockery, I too have a new year's resolution for 2011 that I'm starting early - I'm adopting a "zero tolerance" policy for rude people, crazies, obnoxious assholes, psychic vampires, unenthusiastic mopers, negative nellies and naysayers.

This sounds like a no-brainer idea anyway, but I mean taken to a whole new level of audacity. I've always gradually weeded drama queens out of my life - very gradually, and usually after much wasted time trying to communicate with these people. Now I'm no longer going to fight, argue, discuss, debate, or even listen to rude people who waste my time, not even for a minute. I'm just going turn and walk away. (Unless you're on my turf, of course - then you'll be shown the door.)

Bill Harford: I never did understand why you walked away.
Nick Nightingale: It's a nice feeling. I do it a lot. (raises glass) Cheers.

- Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut


Of course, by eliminating unnecessarily negative people from your life, it makes you seem like an arrogant jerk yourself in the eyes of many. So be it. That's just one of the little ironies of three-dimensional existence, that complaining about negativity is in itself an negative act - but it's one that is au service de la révolution. 2011 is going to be my happiest and busiest year ever, and I no longer have the time or the inclination to be bogged down by hateful, miserable and mal-aligned people who do nothing but detract, slow down, and suck away the energy of others.


On Mad Men, Don Draper's personal conduct is a good illustration of such a direction - although even ol' Don is a real drag to be around sometimes, and he often has this facial expression as if someone's waved offal under his nose. Come on Don, stop brooding and let's go walk our schnauzers. Winter just started but I already feel Spring in the air.

- - JSH

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bravo! Sounds like a great strategy to me.

Here is an article I just saw today giving quite a bit of information on Emotional Contagion:
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Emotional+contagion