Saturday, September 18, 2010

Big Black Nemesis, Parthenogenesis


It's pricey as hell ($23.99 for a 4-pack) and the packaging openly states that the formula to make it keeps changing and shifting and morphing and you never know what you're going to get each time, so Nemesis beer might well be the diciest crap-shoot in all of beerdom. So naturally, I had to throw the bones and see what fate coughed up.

And what I got was a surprisingly thick black stout-like drink that packs a psychic wallop (12% alcohol) and tastes better than any Guinness. It's roasty, it's tarry, it's molassesy, and it's black as Pepsi. I have to say, it kicks Ola Dubh's ass all over the yard and then makes it say "Sir yes sir."

Meanwhile, the serious types over at Ratebeer give it a 99, and Beer Advocate says "A-". I like what one Beer Advocate commenter said of it:

"A gnat flew into my beer about five minutes into my enjoyment of it. Did that stop me from drinking the rest? Hell no! Like the Irishman of joke, I pulled him out and commanded him to spit out what he had drunk. He died rather than relinquish his precious bounty. That's how good this beer is."


- - JSH

No comments: