Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Salsa Valentina


Much as I like Tabasco, and enjoy Pappy's, and worship Cholula, truth be told I'm no hot sauce snob. I don't require much from a hot sauce except that it actually taste like something, other than white-hot flames of death.

Not only is Valentina one of the tastiest all-purpose hot sauces I've encountered in a lifetime of hot saucy encounters, get this: it's only a dollar a bottle at Wal-Mart. I kid you not. I buy this stuff in mass quantities (always the black-label "Extra Hot", which is really only average-hot, which is how I like it, and not the yellow-label "hot", which totally isn't.) to cook with and save my precious Cholula for actual plating applications.

But make no mistake, this is no fly-by-night off-brand dollar-store salsa de mierda from New York City, compadre: Valetina's has been manufactured in Guadalajara, Mexico since Valentine's Day 1854, hence the name. Get some. Get some. Get some. Get some.

- - JSH

No comments: