Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ghyslain



A Ghyslain restaurant opened this month in Louisville, and you have to see this place for yourself. This place is way too good for the likes of us, but let's enjoy it while we can - because we do think we're worth it, don't we?


I had a really nice French Onion Soup here, and the Espresso BBQ Pulled Pork Brioche is to die for. No really, it really is to die for - if you stuck me on Death Row and asked me what I wanted for my last meal, I'd say this. (And maybe some beer cheese.) It consists of homemade pulled pork marinated in cinnamon, brown sugar, mustard, cayenne, and cumin and is slowly braised and served on a brioche with espresso BBQ sauce and caramelized onions. If you aren't salivating already, go have your salivator examined.



But it's the desserts that people really come here for, and it's for desserts that Monsieur Ghyslain Maurais is world famous. I'm not kidding - world famous, you know, like the Iron Chefs? Ghyslain Maurais was born in Québec and studied to be an architect before switching to the culinary arts, French cuisine, and chocolate technology. Thank goodness for us that he did, although his buildings would probably have been genius also. His artisanal chocolates are hand painted and crafted in his "Ghyslain Chocolate Artisan Center" headquarters, which are currently located in Union City, Indiana.



Nobody was sitting out on the schanigarten (oh wait, this place is French, better make that terrasse de cafe) either of the times I was at Ghyslain, which surprises me because it's most pleasant out there. I'm definitely going to be camping out here and cluttering up their patio for a long time to come.

It's at 721 E. Market Street, but kinda hidden behind other buildings. Find it.



- - JSH

No comments: