Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Prunus dulcis liquidus



"Moreover the word of Jehovah came unto me, saying, Jeremiah, what seest thou? And I said, I see a rod of an almond-tree." - Jeremiah 1:11


Something I always like to keep in stock around the old JSH wine cellar is Amaretto - I use it like sugar syrup; you never know when you might need some to sweeten some tea or coffee, or even to add to your pancake batter. It also was useful for the research and development of the Overlook Cocktail, which wedded the wetness of Amaretto to the weirdess of Advocaat.

I was a DiSaronno man for the majority of my existence on this rock, but recently have been wooed to the ways of my good friend Vic, who forgot more about booze than I'll ever know. Like most of his wares, ol' Vic's formula for Amaretto is darker, punchier, grippier, and less candy-like than other leading brands.

And don't kid yourself that this is a lightweight liqueur. Something about this stuff - perhaps the herbs, perhaps the almond oil - gives it a real psychoactive kick that can mess with you if you aren't properly prepared to be messed with. I've seen Amaretto reduce many a stout man to a gibbering, pants-removing raving lunatic. S'truth.

Drink responsibly, gang.

- - JSH

No comments: